Washington State legislature allows qualified students to take courses at local community/technical college during their junior and/or senior year of high school through the Running Start Program. Students can earn both college credit and high school credit at the same time. In order to qualify, a student needs to have a minimum of 10 credits and junior status as determined by the Issaquah School District, take and pass an assessment test at the college and complete an application to the college.
A decision to participate in Running Start is a yearlong commitment due to the differences between the semester system at the high school and the quarter system at the college. Students have the option to be part-time or full-time Running Start students. Additional Running Start information is available in the Counseling Office or the Running Start office at the local community and technical colleges. Please be advised – the progress, attendance or grades of a Running Start student are not accessible to the student’s parent or ISD counselor. Additional information may be found at:
- IHS Counseling: https://sites.google.com/site/ishscounseling/RST
- Bellevue College: http://www.bellevuecollege.edu/runningstart/
- Lake Washington Technical Institute: http://www.lwtech.edu/explore_our_programs/running_start/default.aspx
- Renton Technical College: http://www.rtc.edu/page/running-start
- Seattle Central Community College: http://seattlecentral.edu/runstart/