Learning Recommendations: Incoming 9th graders: B- or higher average in CC8/Algebra 1. Current high school: C- or higher in MTH100 - Common Core Algebra 1.
General Description: This course is aligned with the Common Core State Standards for Mathematics. The Mathematical Practice Standards apply throughout this course and, together with the content standards, prescribe that students experience mathematics as a coherent, useful, and logical subject that makes use of their ability to make sense of problem situations.
Content: Critical areas include, but are not limited to:
- Congruence and Constructions
- Similarity and Trigonometry
- Three Dimensional Problem Solving
- Proof and Modeling
- Coordinate Geometry
- Applications of Probability
Strategies: Students will learn through a combination of:
- Collaborative instructional approach
- Direct Instruction
- Technology enhanned instruction
- Daily Work/Homework is assigned frequently and can include homework records, activities, classwork, skills mastery checks, and reflection assignments.
- In general, students should expect 15-30 minutes of nightly work if completed without distractions. Time may vary depending on a student’s math knowledge.
- Students should complete all daily work and homework. Studies suggest that daily small doses of practice is better for learning math. Every lecture, assignment, activity, project and assessment is designed to better understand the topics in this course. Students should participate and complete all work whether or not it is graded.
Course Fee / Materials: Ruler, Compass, Protractor, and Scientific Calculator. If you need to purchase a scientific calculator, the TI-30XIIS is recommended. A graphing calculator is NOT required until CC Algebra 2 and above.