Learning Recommendations: B- or better in Spanish 1. Retention of Spanish 1 vocabulary and grammar concepts. Willingness to communicate almost exclusively in Spanish.
General Description: Students who would like to sign up for this course are highly encouraged to speak to their Spanish 1 teacher about proper placement. This class is intended for highly motivated and achieving students who want to partake in a more rigorous course, with the intention of eventually pursuing AP Spanish. A Spanish 2 Honors student retains and produces all Spanish 1 material with ease and accuracy. There will be less review than in Spanish 1, and the class will naturally move at a more accelerated pace. Students will be required to:
- memorize between 50 and 100 words every 3-4 weeks for accuracy and long-term retention
- learn and use idiomatic expressions
- learn and apply new grammatical concepts every 3-4 weeks, as well as demonstrate competence with any concepts previously studied follow directions and conversation almost entirely in Spanish
- speak in Spanish during in class activities and when prompted by the teacher
- become more comfortable using ONLY the target language in class as the year progresses
- write at length in multiple formats using appropriate grammar, vocabulary and conventions
- read level-appropriate material with some independence
- Students who plan to continue past Spanish 2 should be intrinsically motivated to seek out opportunities (reading, listening, oral communication, etc.) in Spanish.
Content: This course will use the text Descubre 2 and the accompanying workbook, and supplementary material. Extensive and rapid review of concepts and vocabulary learned in first year of language.
Strategies: Students will learn/be assessed through a combination of:
- Online Homework
- In-class activities
- Daily conversation in Spanish
- Formal and informal presentations
- Written, listening, reading and oral exams
Homework: As successful Spanish 2 Honors student will review vocabulary and grammar nightly (20-30 minutes) or as needed to see success in the course.