Learning Recommendations: Designed for students who have a B- or better on tests/assessments in CC Algebra 2 or a B- or better on tests/assessments in Advanced Algebra and Trigonometry.
General Description: This course is an in-depth study of polynomial, power, rational, exponential, logarithmic, and trigonometric functions. This course is designed to prepare students for college level calculus.
Content: Course content includes, but is not limited to:
- Analyze functions
- Parent functions and transformations
- Characteristics of polynomial, power, rational, exponential, logarithmic, and trigonometric functions
- Applications of trigonometric and circular functions
- Trigonometric properties, identities, and proofs
- Systems of equations and matrices
- Conic sections
- Inferential statistics
- Correlation and regression
Strategies: Students will learn through a combination of:
- Teacher-Centered (direct instruction or demonstrative)
- Learner-Centered (discovery or inquiry-based)
- Interactive (participation/group work)
- Daily Work/Homework is assigned frequently and can include homework records, activities, classwork, skills mastery checks, and reflection assignments.
- In general, students should expect 20-45 minutes of nightly work if completed without distractions. Time may vary depending on a student’s math knowledge.
- Students should complete all daily work and homework. Studies suggest that daily small doses of practice is better for learning math. Every lecture, assignment, activity, project and assessment is designed to better understand the topics in this course. Students should participate and complete all work whether or not it is graded.
Course Fee / Materials: Graphing Calculator required. The TI-84 is recommended.