Learning Recommendations: Grade 9; C or better in middle school Language Arts class. Grades 10-12; C or better recommended in English class.
General Description: This class builds novice and intermediate skills of listening, reading, writing and speaking. All materials and assessments are cumulative. Students will be required to:
- memorize between 50 and 100 words every 3-4 weeks for accuracy and long-term retention
- learn and apply new grammatical concepts every 3-4 weeks, as well as demonstrate competence with any concepts previously studied
- follow directions and conversation, as adapted for Spanish 1
- speak in Spanish whenever possible
- write at length using appropriate grammar, vocabulary and conventions
- read at length in Spanish, as adapted for Spanish 1
Content: This course will use the text Descubre 1 and the accompanying online workbook
Strategies: Students will learn / be assessed through a combination of:
- Tests/quizzes from the text curriculum
- Daily homework
- In-class activities
- Daily conversation in Spanish
- Written, listening, reading and oral exams
Homework: Regular studying of vocabulary and grammar concepts as well as keeping up with online homework. Approximately 20 minutes a night.
Course Fee / Materials: Reliable access to the Internet to use the online textbook materials, practice materials, and to complete assignments.