Learning Recommendations: D or higher in Algebra 2.
General Description: This course is designed to meet the needs of students who wish to continue with math beyond CC Algebra 2 and who would benefit from additional scaffolding prior to taking additional math classes. It is meant for students who want to further their studies of mathematics to prepare for the rigors of pre-calculus or other advanced math classes. Enrolling in this class will help students be prepared for college entrance exams.
Content: Critical areas include, but are not limited to:
- Functions and their transformations, to include: polynomial, radical, rational, exponential, logarithmic, and trigonometric functions.
- Algebra topics such as linear and polynomial equations, solving systems of equations, and solving with matrices.
- Sequences and series
Strategies: Students will learn through a combination of:
- Teacher-Centered (direct instruction or demonstrative)
- Learner-Centered (discovery or inquiry-based)
- Interactive (participation/group work)
- Daily assignments can include in-class activities, projects, homework from the textbook, worksheets, exit tickets, and reflection assignments.
- In general, students should expect 20-30 minutes of nightly work if completed without distractions. Time may vary depending on a student’s math knowledge. Time is often given in class for students to start homework assignments.
- Students should complete all daily work and homework. Studies suggest that daily small doses of practice is better for learning math. Every lesson, assignment, activity, project and assessment is designed to better understand the topics in this course. Students should participate and complete all work whether or not it is graded or recorded.
Skill Mastery Checks: Mastery checks covering core algebraic skills are assigned on average two times per topic/chapter. Designed to build proficiency before unit assessments, skills checks provide students feedback into their learning and help teachers differentiate instruction. Students have multiple attempts on skills checks, encouraging mastery over the material.
Course Fee / Materials: Graphing Calculator required. The TI-84 is recommended.