Learning Recommendations: B- or better in Spanish 3 or AP Spanish Language. Retention of Spanish 1, 2, and 3 vocabulary and grammar concepts. Willingness to communicate exclusively in Spanish.
General Description: Students wanting to pursue AP Spanish are highly encouraged to sign up for this class (schedule allowing). Any doubts regarding proper placement should be directed to the student’s Spanish 3 teacher. The text for this course will explore various cultural concepts in the Spanish-speaking world. An Advanced Spanish Conversation and Culture student retains and produces all Spanish 1, 2, 3 material with ease and accuracy.
Students and the teacher will converse exclusively in Spanish. Students will be required to:
- memorize between 50 and 100 words every 3-4 weeks for accuracy and long-term retention
- learn and use idiomatic expressions
- learn and apply new grammatical concepts every 3-4 weeks, as well as demonstrate competence with any concepts previously studied
- follow directions and conversation entirely in Spanish
- speak in Spanish all the time
- write at length in multiple formats using appropriate grammar, vocabulary and conventions
- read at length at a more rigorous level, and with more independence
- commit time to reading, listening and communicating in Spanish outside of regular assignments
Students who plan to continue on to AP Spanish should be intrinsically motivated to seek out opportunities (reading, listening, oral communication, etc.) in Spanish.
Content: This course will use Taller de Escritores
Strategies: Students will learn / be assessed through a combination of:
- Weekly outside reading of choice (1-2 hours per week)
- Vocabulary and grammar assessments
- Formal and informal presentations
- Daily conversations in Spanish
- Weekly writing
- Cultural explorations (guest speakers, videos, food, readings, powerpoint presentations on history, economy, politics, etc.)
- Periodic speaking, listening and reading assessments
Homework: Regular studying of vocabulary and preparing presentations for class. Approximately 30 minutes a night.
Course Fee / Materials: Yes, see Course/Club/Misc. Fee link.