- Highly recommend completion of SCI200 - Biology or SCI300 - Chemistry with a grade of B or better.
- Ability to read content and volume of reading geared to a college-level course.
General Description: This is a year-long laboratory course focusing on anatomy and physiology. The course is designed for students with high ability and interest.
This course meets the description of a lab-based science course for college entrance requirements as outlined by the Washington Student Achievement Council.
- Basic Biochemistry
- Tissue types
- Major organ systems with emphasis on the human body
- Human diseases, both pathogenic and heritable
Strategies: Students will learn through a combination of:
- Reading and textbook activities
- Model building of anatomical structures
- Dissections of both isolated organs, including cow eyes and sheep brains, and the fetal pig to represent a whole organism
- Simulations of physiologic processes
Homework: Outside work is required for independent research, completion of projects, and regular homework assignments given once a week.
Course Fee / Materials: Yes, see Course/Club/Misc. Fee link. Goggles
College in High School: Sophomores, Juniors and Seniors who have also completed SCI200 - Biology (with a B or higher) will have the option to earn 6 university credits for BIO108 at Bellevue College through the College in the HIgh School program. Sign-ups will be in September-October. The fee for the college credits is approximately $150.00 (class fee plus registration fee) paid at the time of registration.