Social Studies Credit for 12th Grade Only.
11th Grade Elective
· General Description: This course is designed primarily for seniors to explore local, national and international issues, as well as create viable solutions to them. The hot topics covered in this class require a large amount of reflection and discussion with classmates. Students will select a current social issue they find compelling, build a website designed to educate and create a call-to-action pathway for viewers to resolve the issue. Finally, the entire class will select a current social issue, develop a viable solution strategy, and implement the plan in a Problem-Based-Solution Project. The final project will be presented to an authentic community audience. Investigating, discussing and resolving current social issues form the backbone of this student-directed class.
· Unit 1: Developing Critical Reasoning Skills, Understanding of Bias and Current Event Awareness
· Unit 2: Social Issue Website Development
· Unit 3: Class Problem-Based-Solution Project
· Critical Readings and Class Reflections
· Current Event Presentations and Peer Discussions
· Online Video News Source Observations and Discussions
· Website Development
· Cooperative Learning Group Project