- Successful completion of SCI126 - Physics Laboratory Methods
- Successful completion of SCI200 - General Biology.
- Successful completion of MTH100 - Common Core Algebra 1 and MTH200 - Common Core Geometry. (Recommended “B” or better in both courses).
- Concurrent enrollment in MTH300 - Common Core Algebra 2 or higher
- Proficient in the use of computer software for word processing and spreadsheets
- Proficient in graphing and data analysis
- This is a yearlong laboratory course, which fulfills the science requirements for graduation and university entrance.
- Students will gain an understanding of the fundamental principles of the physical world and an appreciation of many of the phenomena they experience in their lives.
- Emphasis on lab skills and scientific inquiry.
- Emphasis on critical thinking and problem solving.
- Physics is a quantitative science and students do a significant amount of math.
- This course fulfills (1) college prep science requirement, as outlined by the Washington Student Achievement Council (WSAC) as a lab-based and algebra based science course.
- Students will be actively engaged in learning and experiencing the following:
- Methods and application of physical measurement
- Wave mechanics
Color, light and/or sound and optics
- Other topics included but not limited to:
- Thermodynamics, electricity, lunar astronomy
Equipment to be provided by student: Scientific function calculator (TI-83+, TI-84 or TI-Nspire recommended)