Learning Recommendations: C or better in Pre-Calculus. With teacher permission, may be taken concurrently with Pre-Calculus if student had an A in CC Algebra 2.
General Description: Statistics introduces students to the major concepts and tools for collecting, analyzing, and drawing conclusions from data. Students will observe patterns and departures from patterns, decide what and how to measure, produce models using probability and simulation and confirm models. Appropriate technology, from manipulatives to calculators and application software, will be used regularly for instruction and assessment. Students are expected to take the AP Statistics exam for which a fee will be charged at Liberty High School.
Topics that students will explore and understand in the course include:
- How statistics is applied in real life
- How to appropriately collect and analyze data to validate research questions
- Analyze and interpret graphical displays
- Summarize bivariate data including correlation, best-fit-line
- Understand the basic properties of and underlying patterns of probability.
- Find the variability and distributions of samples
- Hypothesis testing
- Comparing treatment groups
- Analyze categorical data and goodness-of-fit tests
Students will learn through a combination of:
- Direct instruction
- Group based and individual based exploration
- Technology labs
- Independent learning
Equipment to be provided by student: TI Nspire Calculator required, Fee for AP Exam.