Fee: Note packet required, price TBD (~$10.00)
Learning Recommendations: Successful completion of Chemistry Lab Methods & Proficient in lab technique, grade level reading, and graphing
- This is a yearlong course, which fulfills a lab science requirement for graduation and university entrance.
- Biology provides a knowledge base that helps students understand the nature of life, and prepares them to make informed decisions about health, medicine, genetics, and the environment.
- There is an emphasis on problem solving and using scientific inquiry.
- Successful completion of this course prepares students for the Washington State Biology End of Course Exam.
- This course fulfills college prep requirements as outlined by the Higher Education Board of the State of Washington (HEC Board) as a lab-based science course.
Content: Students will be actively engaged in learning and experiencing the following:
- Cellular biology; respiration, reproduction, use of matter and energy
- Classification and relationship among organisms
- Ecology, ecosystems and human impact on the biosphere and population
- Evolution with speciation, natural selection, adaptation and diversity
- Genetics to include molecular genetics, genetic regulation of life processes and genetic engineering
- Plant systems physiology and anatomy; photosynthesis
Skills Taught in this Course:
- Inquiry-based laboratory work
- Use and care of microscopes and probe ware
- Problem solving and critical thinking strategies
- Extended data analysis and graphing techniques
Strategies: Students will learn through a combination of:
- Inquiry based laboratory work
- Critical thinking exercises
- Multimedia offerings (Computer simulations, video features)
- Online textbook, web activities & reinforcement
- Demonstrations (teacher or student directed)
- Student project and research
- Cooperative learning
- Interdisciplinary applications are used when appropriate/possible
- Scientific inquiry
Equipment to be provided by student: set of colored pencils, journal or notebook, basic calculator, 3-ring binder, bound composition book (graph paper preferred), No. 2 pencils, 2 colors of pen.