Fee: Web assignment fee – $TBA, Spring Project fee - $TBA
- Successful completion of SCI126 - Physics Laboratory Methods
- Successful completion of SCI200 - Biology.
- Successful completion of MTH100 - Common Core Algebra 1 and MTH200 - Common Core Geometry, and concurrent enrollment in MTH300 - Common Core Algebra 2 or higher
- Proficient in the use of computer software for word processing and spreadsheets
- Proficient in graphing and data analysis
- This is a yearlong laboratory course, which fulfills the science requirements for graduation and university entrance.
- Students will gain an understanding of the fundamental principles of the physical world and an appreciation of many of the phenomena they experience in their lives.
- Emphasis on lab skills and scientific inquiry.
- Emphasis on critical thinking and problem solving.
- Physics is a quantitative science and students do a significant amount of math.
- This course fulfills (1) college prep science requirement, as outlined by the Higher Education Board of the State of Washington (HEC Board), as a lab-based and algebra based science course.
Content: Students will be actively engaged in learning and experiencing the following:
- Methods and application of physical measurement
- Wave mechanics
- Color, light and/or sound and optics
- Other topics included but not limited to:
- Rocketry and Aerospace Science (SHS)
- Thermodynamics, electricity, magnetism, Modern Physics (IHS)
- Thermodynamics, electricity, lunar astronomy (LHS)
Skills Taught in this Course:
- Increased use of Inquiry-based and guided laboratory work
- Expanded problem solving and critical thinking strategies
- Use of sophisticated equipment and probe ware to investigate physics phenomena
- Data analysis and graphing techniques
- Communication through scientific writing
Strategies: Students will learn through a combination of:
- Inquiry-based and guided laboratory work
- Problem solving and critical thinking exercises
- Interactive, student and teacher led demonstrations
- Student projects and research with emphasis on communication
- Cooperative learning
Equipment to be provided by student: Scientific function calculator (TI-83+, TI-84 or TI-Nspire recommended), WebAssign: $10.50 to $15.50 + tax, used for graded homework and online assessments