Learning Recommendations: Students should spend 10-20 minutes daily studying, in addition to their homework assignments.
General Description: Japanese 1 provides an introduction to the spoken and written language of Japan and Japanese culture. Students will engage in meaningful communication on a variety of topics drawn from everyday life as they develop listening, speaking, reading, and writing skills. Students learn hiragana, katakana and some basic kanji. Level I students must be prepared to be taught predominantly in Japanese; however, English will be used sparingly to support the comprehension of some complex grammatical structures and cultural understanding.
- Collaborative learning opportunities
- Listening activities
- Writing and presentation of dialogues
- Cultural readings in the target language
- Connections to other disciplines
- A variety of assessments, written and oral
Equipment to be provided by student: Spiral notebook