Learning Recommendations: Grade of D or below in Language Arts class. Enrolled in the “Guided Studies” program. Successful completion of Spanish 1A
General Description: This introductory class to the Spanish language will focus on listening comprehension, reading, writing, and speaking. Students will explore the various cultures that speak Spanish natively. Level I students must be prepared to be taught partially in the target language first semester and predominantly in Spanish by year’s end. However, English will be used sparingly to support the comprehension of complex grammatical structures.
- This course will use the text Descubre I and the accompanying online workbook and text.
- Students will explore the various grammatical functions as well as vocabulary in the first half of the Descubre I textbook and the first chapter of Spanish II.
- This will not replace a full year of Spanish I credit, but rather prepare student for enrollment in Spanish II the following year.
- Tests/Quizzes from the text curriculum
- Daily Homework
- In class activities
- Daily conversation in Spanish
- Written and Oral exams
- Drill, practice and study skills
Equipment to be provided by student: Three-ring binder and various colored writing instruments