Learning Recommendations: B or higher in both semesters of IB Pre-HL Math.
General Description: IB Math HL 1 is the first of two years that prepare students to take the IB Higher Level (HL) Math exam. The course covers all topics typically covered during the first two quarters of college calculus. In addition, it also covers additional IB required topics. This course is designed for the student who may wish to focus on mathematics, engineering, or science after high school and is ready to learn concepts at a faster pace. IB dictates that students may not sit for HL exams until the spring of their senior year.
- Limits and continuity
- Application of derivatives including related rates,
- motion and optimization,
- Curve analysis,
- L’Hopital’s Rule,
- Indefinite and Definite Integrals,
- Fundamental Theorem of Calculus,
- First order differential equations and slope fields,
- Volumes of solids of revolutions,
- Integration by parts,
- Rolle’s and Mean Value Theorems
Students will learn through a combination of:
- Teacher directed instruction
- Small group collaboration
Equipment to be provided by student: Graphing Calculator. TI-Nspire (Not CAS) is recommended.