Fees: IB exam fee as appropriate, AP exam fee as appropriate
Learning Recommendations: Successful completion of IB Chemistry 1 with a C- or better.
General Description: This course is a second year high school chemistry course that satisfies the higher level requirements of the IB Diploma program. This class can only be taken by seniors who have already taken the full year of IB Chemistry 1. Students who have already taken IB Chemistry (SL) may register for the IB higher level exam, or students may choose to register for the IB standard level exam. This course fulfills (1) college prep science as a lab-based or algebra based science course
- Acid/Base reactions
- Organic chemistry
- Thermodynamics (entropy and enthalpy)
- Additional topics as decided by instructor
- Analytic chemistry
- Lecture/Discussion using the flipped classroom model
- Laboratory work
- Inquiry and critical thinking exercises
- Teacher-led demonstrations
- Student-led demonstrations
- Student project and research
Equipment to be provided by student: Scientific calculator (TI-83+, TI-84 or TI-Nspire), bound composition notebook.