Fees: IB exam fee as appropriate, AP exam fee as appropriate.
Learning Recommendations: Students should have strong study skills and expect to commit an average of 30 minutes of homework per night. In addition, students must have a strong grasp of all simple and complex tense and strong grasp of kanji. Certificate or diploma candidates can sit for the IB exam in the spring.
General Description: IB Japanese (SL) will prepare the student to communicate competently in the skill areas of reading, writing, speaking and listening in preparation for the Standard Level exam in May – students have the option to take the AP test as well—and receive a grade for the class separate from the either exam. The IB student is mature, self-motivated, linguistically competent, and studious. In IB Japanese 1, students and teachers will be communicating almost exclusively in Japanese and that IB level students will be able to utilize conversational Japanese to function in the class without the use of English.
- This course follows the guidelines of the IB curriculum for students who speak Japanese as a second language.
Strategies: Students will learn through a combination of:
- Thematic units covering culture, literature and current events
- Live and taped oral presentations
- Discussion and analysis of literature, media sources, art and film
- Instruction and students’ participation exclusively in Japanese
- 100-150 more kanji
Equipment to be provided by students: Spiral notebook