Fee: Purchase of 1-2 novels: Approx. $25, IB exam fee as appropriate, AP exam fee as appropriate
Learning Recommendations: Students must have a strong grasp of all simple and complex tenses including a working knowledge of the subjunctive.
General Description: IB Spanish (SL) will prepare the student to communicate competently in the skill areas of reading, writing, speaking and listening. The IB student is mature, self-motivated, linguistically competent, and studious. Students must be prepared to be taught solely in Spanish. It is expected that IB level students will be able to utilize conversational Spanish to function in the class without the use of English. Students in their first year (SL) of IB Spanish have the option of taking the first year (SL) IB exam.
- This course follows the guidelines of the IB curriculum for students who speak Spanish as a second language.
- Communication and media
- Global questions
- Social Relationships
- Science and Technology
- Cultural diversity
Strategies: Students will learn through a combination of:
- Thematic units covering culture, literature and current events
- Live and taped oral presentations
- Discussion and analysis of literature, media sources, art and film
- Instruction and students’ participation exclusively in Spanish
Equipment to be provided by students: Novels; Approx. $25 - $35. If there is a concern about the fee, please see your counselor.