Fees: WebAssign fee – $TBA, Spring Project fee - $TBA
- Successful completion of SCI126 - Physics Laboratory Methods
- Successful completion of SCI200 - Biology
- Successful completion of MTH100 - Common Core Algebra 1 and MTH200 - Common Core Geometry (Recommended "B" or better in both courses)
- Concurrent enrollment in MTH300 - Common Core Algebra 2 or higher
- Proficient in the use of computer software for word processing and spreadsheets
- Proficient in graphing and data analysis
- This is a yearlong laboratory course, which fulfills the science requirements for graduation and university entrance.
- Students will gain an understanding of the fundamental principles of the physical world and an appreciation of many of the phenomena they experience in their lives.
- Emphasis on lab skills and scientific inquiry.
- Emphasis on critical thinking and problem solving.
- Physics is a quantitative science and students do a significant amount of math.
- This course fulfills (1) college prep science requirement, as outlined by the Washington Student Achievement Council (WSAC) as a lab-based and Algebra-based Science course.
Content: Students will be actively engaged in learning and experiencing the following:
- Methods and application of physical measurement
- Wave mechanics
- Color, light and/or sound and optics
Other topics included, but not limited to:
- Geophysics and applications of EM radiation (Skyline High School)
- Thermodynamics, electricity, magnetism, Modern Physics (Issaquah High School)
- Thermodynamics, electricity, lunar astronomy (Liberty High School)
Skills Taught in this Course:
- Increased use of inquiry-based and guided laboratory work
- Expanded problem solving and critical thinking strategies
- Use of sophisticated equipment and probe ware to investigate physics phenomena
- Data analysis and graphing techniques
- Communication through scientific writing
Strategies: Students will learn through a combination of:
- Inquiry-based and guided laboratory work
- Problem solving and critical thinking exercises
- Interactive student- and teacher-led demonstrations
- Student projects and research with emphasis on communication
- Cooperative learning
Equipment to be provided by Student: Scientific calculator (TI-83+, TI-84, or TI-Nspire recommended)