Fees: AHA Certification Fee of $13
Learning Recommendations: It is recommended, though not required, that students complete SCI200 - Biology prior to enrolling in this course.
General Description: This course covers information fundamental to all healthcare professions with an emphasis in sports medicine. Specific course content includes American Heart Association certification in Basic Life Support for Healthcare Providers, medical terminology, fundamentals of biology/chemistry/physics particularly as they relate to the body and the anatomy and physiology of various body systems. In addition to classroom instruction, students complete a 25-hour observation of Skyline’s athletic training room and Certified Athletic Trainer each semester (50 hours total for the course). Students are encouraged to take advantage of leadership opportunities and competitive events offered at state and international levels by joining CLUB MED. CLUB MED is a student-led ASB club at Skyline, affiliated with the Washington Career & Technical Sports Medicine Association (WCTSMA) and Health Occupations Students of America (HOSA - Future Health Professionals).
- Emergency Medicine Basics
- Medical Terminology
- Anatomy and Physiology of the Integumentary, Skeletal, Muscular, Nervous, Circulatory, Lymphatic/Immune, Respiratory, Digestive, and Urinary Systems
- Inquiry-based laboratory work
- Multimedia offerings (computer simulations, video features)
- Demonstrations (teacher or student directed)
- Student projects and research
- Observe and work with Skyline's Certified Athletic Trainer
Equipment to be provided by Student: None
Note: Completion of this course with a “B” or better may qualify students for college credit at various community/technical college programs in our area through TechPrep.