NOTE: In order to take the IB Physics exam, students must take both IB Physics 1 HL and IB Physics 2 HL.
Fees: IB Exam Fee as appropriate; optional field trip incurs fee at end-of-year - $TBA; Web Assign fee - $TBA
Learning Recommendations: Successful completion of SCI125 - Chemistry Laboratory Methods and SCI126 - Physics Laboratory Methods; be adept in the use of word processing software and excel; successful completion of or concurrent enrollment in MTH300 - Common Core Algebra 2 is encouraged.
General Description: In this course students will explore the fundamental principles that govern the physical world. This is a relatively fast-paced course that will both prepare students for university-level physics courses and begin to prepare students for the IB Physics HL exam, taken at the end of the second year of IB Physics. This course fulfills one (1) college prep science requirement, as outlined by the Higher Education Board of the State of Washington (HEC Board), as a lab-based or algebra-based science course.
- Methods and Applications of physical measurement and measurement uncertainties
- Mechanics (topics such as: uniform accelerated motion; forces; work and energy; momentum; and uniform circular motion)
- Thermal physics
- Atomic, Nuclear and Particle Physics
- Circular Motion and Gravitation
- Amusement park physics
- Engineering Physics (mechanical systems)
- Laboratory work
- Inquiry and critical thinking exercises
- Computer simulations
- Teacher-led demonstration
- Student-led demonstration
- Student project and research
- Interdisciplinary applications are used when appropriate/possible
- Web-based assignments
Equipment to be provided by Student: Scientific calculator (TI-83+, TI-84, or TI-Nspire); two composition books; USB memory stick (thumb drive)