Fee: IB Exam Fee as appropriate
Learning Recommendations: An ability to synthesize and analyze text and research journals; a willingness to work independently
General Description: Psychology is the scientific study of behavior and mental processes. The IB Psychology SL class will examine the different perspectives within the psychological world, specifically the biological, socio-cultural and cognitive perspectives. In addition, students will examine the diagnosis and treatment of dysfunctional behavior. Finally, students will be involved in the process of implementing their own psychological experiment. This course will fulfill IB requirements for IB Diploma candidates.
Content: Units of study include the following:
- Three (3) perspectives in Psychology (biological, socio-cultural and cognitive)
- Dysfunctional behavior
- Replication of an experiment (the internal assessment).
Strategies: Students will learn through a combination of:
- Multi-media presentations
- Research-based papers and presentations
- Analysis of relevant readings and experimental research
- Text reading and outlining
- Performance of an experiment
Equipment to be provided by Student: USB memory stick (thumb drive) recommended