Fees: IB exam fee as appropriate
Learning Recommendations: Proficiency in fundamental lab techniques and lab safety; adeptness in the use of word processing software and Excel. Successful completion of MTH100 - Common Core Algebra 1 and MTH200 - Common Core Geometry and at least concurrent enrollment in MTH300 - Common Core Algebra 2 is STRONGLY recommended.
General Description: This course is a fast-paced, first-year high school chemistry course that satisfies the Standard Level requirements of the IB Diploma program and readies students for a university-level chemistry course. This course prepares students to sit for the Standard Level exam in May. Students will develop a deeper understanding and appreciation for chemistry concepts.
This course fulfills one (1) college prep science requirement, as outlined by the Higher Education Board of the State of Washington (HEB Board), as a lab-based or algebra-based science course.
- Methods and applications of physical measurement
- Physical and chemical properties
- Atomic structure
- Molecular shapes and structure
- Acids and bases
- Oxidation and reduction
- Organic chemistry
- Web-based work
- Lecture/discussion using the flipped classroom model
- Laboratory work
- Inquiry and critical thinking exercises
- Teacher-led demonstrations
- Student-led demonstrations
- Student project and research
Equipment to be provided by Student: Scientific calculator (TI-83+, TI-84, or TI-Nspire); bound composition notebook