Learning Recommendations: None
General Description: This course covers information fundamental to all healthcare professions with an emphasis in sports medicine. It is an ideal class for students interested in going into any allied healthcare profession, medicine, or biology. Course topics are human anatomy and how sports injuries occur, strength and conditioning, sports nutrition, sports psychology, and preventative medicine. The standards for this course are based on the National Athletic Trainers’ Association’s six domains of responsibility/education, the Washington State Science EALR’s and the Career & Technical Education Therapeutic and Sports Medicine competencies strands.
- Medical terminology
- Anatomy & Physiology
- Emergency Medicine (Students have the opportunity to get certified through the Red Cross in CPR/AED and 1st Aid)
- Rehabilitation techniques & modalities
- Various conditions that can occur in athletics and an assortment of other related topics
Strategies: Students learn through a combination of:
- Inquiry-based laboratory work
- Critical thinking exercises
- Multimedia offerings (Computer simulations, video features)
- Demonstrations (teacher or student directed)
- Student project and research
- Students encouraged to look of out of classroom learning opportunities
Homework: Homework for this class is typically less than 10 minutes per night on average with good time management. Homework consists of review the days topics for an additional repeat to remember session OR larger projects with multiple days to work on it.
Tech Prep: This course is CTE Dual Credit approved and articulated with Bellevue College or Lake Washington Institute of Technology. Students who demonstrate proficiency of the college course competencies with a ‘B’ (3.0) or better grade may be eligible to earn college credit through the Tech Prep program. Students MUST register for CTE Dual Credit while they are enrolled in the high school course and also are required to pay a non-refundable $46 annual consortium fee.
Course Fee / Materials: $10 fee