Learning Recommendations: Students are expected to have passed ASL 2 with a grade of a C- or better, or have completed an equivalent course from another educational institution, or score at a proficient level on the ISD standardized comprehension and cultural knowledge test.
General Description: In ASL 3, emphasis is on expanding (1) grammatical understanding of ASL, (2) functional application of ASL, (3) vocabulary, and especially (4) understanding and appreciation of the Deaf culture and Deaf community.
Content: ASL 3 revisits content from units 10-12 of Signing Naturally (2014), and uses resources from units 13-17 of Signing Naturally (1988). Units include vocabulary and grammatical structures relating to the topics of:
- Discussing plans and goals
- locating things around the house
- complaining, making suggestions and requests
- exchanging personal information about life events
- describing and identifying things
- talking about the weekend
- Cochlear implantation controversy
- Deaf history
- The legacy of Alexander Graham Bell
- Current Deaf events
ASL 3 focuses more on cultural, grammatical and historical and geographical information pertaining to ASL and Deaf people. The history of the Deaf community and Deaf education, current cultural beliefs and controversies, and art forms in Deaf culture will be introduced, as well as an overview of the craft and ethics of interpreting.
Strategies: Students will learn through a combination of:
- Skill and knowledge enhancement exercises
- Finger spelling, numbers and core vocabulary review
- Dialogues, modeling, copy-signing and performances
- Cultural and grammatical readings
- Activities and small group work
- Required out-of-class cultural experiences; Deaf community events
- Fingerspelling drills
- Video comprehension
- Interpretation & translation practice
- Vocabulary review
- Deaf Cultural experiences, including write-ups
- Essays on culturally relevant topics
- Additional ASL- based assignments
Course Fee / Materials: Writing utensils, paper, and internet connected device highly recommended.