Learning Recommendations: C- or better in Spanish 2. Retention of Spanish 1 and 2 vocabulary and grammar concepts. Willingness to communicate exclusively in Spanish.
General Description: This class is a continuation of Spanish 1 and 2; all material and assessments are cumulative. Students will be required to:
- memorize between 50 and 100 words every 3-4 weeks for accuracy and long-term retention
- learn and apply new grammatical concepts every 3-4 weeks, as well as demonstrate competence with any concepts previously studied
- follow directions and conversation in Spanish
- speak exclusively in Spanish
- write at length using appropriate grammar, vocabulary and conventions
- read at length
Students who plan to continue Spanish past Spanish 3 should be intrinsically motivated to seek out opportunities (reading, listening, oral communication, etc.) in Spanish. Spanish 3 students have the option to continue their Spanish studies with Advanced Spanish Conversation and Culture or AP Spanish; any placement concerns should be discussed with the Spanish 3 instructor.
Content: This course will use the text Descubre 3 and the accompanying workbook.
Strategies: Students will learn / be assessed through a combination of :
- Daily homework
- In-class activities
- Daily conversation in Spanish
- Written, listening, reading and oral exams
Homework: Regular studying of vocabulary and grammar concepts as well as keeping up with online homework. Approximately 30 minutes a night.
Course Fee / Materials: Reliable access to the Internet to use the online textbook materials, practice materials, and to complete assignments