- Successful completion of SCI125 - Chemistry Laboratory Methods, SCI126 - Physics Laboratory Methods, and SCI200 - Biology
- Successful completion of MTH100 - Common Core Algebra 1 and concurrent enrollment in MTH300 - Common Core Algebra 2.
- Proficiency in the use of computer software for word processing and spreadsheets.
- Proficiency in lab technique, problem solving and critical thinking.
General Description: This lab-based course explores the scientific basis of forensics. This is a rich, cross-disciplinary class that utilizes the scientific method and knowledge from diverse fields such as physics, chemistry, and biology to collect and analyze evidence, re-create the crime scene, and determine the perpetrator. In this course, you will study a number of sub-fields within forensics in order to examine a wide variety of crimes. The course will also include a unit on careers in Forensics Science.
This course meets the descriptions of lab-based and Algebra-based science courses for college entrance requirements as outlined by the Washington Student Achievement Council.
- Crime Scene and Physical Evidence
- Properties of Matter and Glass Analysis
- Drugs and Forensic Toxicology
- Forensic Serology
- DNA Evidence
- Hair and Fibers
- Metal, Paints, and Soil
- Fire Investigation
- Firearms, Tool Marks and other Impressions
- Document Examination
- Careers in Forensic Science
Strategies: Students learn through a combination of:
- Inquiry activities using laboratory investigation and crime scene re-creation with an emphasis on critical analysis and interpretation of data
- Use of electronic tools for data collection and manipulation
- Demonstrations of scientific principles (teacher and student-led)
- Student projects, research, and presentations
- Cooperative learning groups
- Guest speakers
- Communication through scientific writing
- Critical thinking exercises
Homework: Student work that is not completed in the classroom may be assigned as homework. Group projects will be given time during class to work on, but may require team completion outside of the classroom. Studying for assessments will be done on the student's time.
Course Fee / Materials: lab spiral notebook, colored pencils, safety goggles