IB Music - SL & HL Course Code Options:
- MUS100 - Concert Band
- MUS110 - Symphonic Band
- MUS125 - Jazz Band
- MUS135 - Percussion Ensemble
- MUS200 - Skyline String Orchestra
- MUS201 - Skyline Chamber Orchestra
- MUS250 - Evergreen Philharmonic
- MUS302 - Women's Choir
- MUS305 - Concert Chorale
- MUS325 - Vocal Jazz Ensemble
- MUS551 - Songwriting & Sequencing
- MUS666 - IB Music Composition & Creation
Fees: Students will be responsible for the cost of outfits and field trips for their particular ensembles. IB Exam fee will apply as appropriate.
Learning Requirements: Students need to be enrolled in either an ensemble class (choir, orchestra, or band); OR have taken OR be currently enrolled in the MUS551 - Songwriting & Sequencing and the MUS666 - IB Music Composition & Creation classes. HL students will need proficiency on an instrument or voice in order to complete the solo recital component per the IB Diploma Programme requirements. In addition to attending their daily music classes, students will attend the Tuesday after school, two hour seminars, September through May. For HL students, the after school seminars will be a two-year commitment.
General Description: These courses are for students who desire to complete an IB certificate or use IB Music as their elective course for their IB Diploma. Students will commit to year-long, weekly afternoon seminar sessions to learn the curriculum and rubrics of IB Music. For HL students, the after school seminar is a two-year commitment. The music seminar will focus on aspects of music history, theory, and analysis. Students must also be members of a yearlong, music performance ensemble or be registered for Songwriting and Sequencing and IB Composition and Creation classes.
Content: The history of music throughout the world.
Strategies: Students will learn through a combination of:
- Research-based papers
- Multimedia presentations
- Music listening and analysis
- Direct instruction
- Music ensemble performance/evaluation
- Creating recording and/or composition portfolios
The additional requirements for IB Music HL are:
- Students will submit solo recital recordings on their specialty instruments or voice.
- Students will complete and submit three (3) music compositions or creations.
Equipment to be provided by Student: Headphones (Ear Buds)