Learning Recommendation: "B" or higher in both semesters of MTH402 - Pre-HL Math
General Description: IB Math Analysis and Approaches HL 1 (IB Math HL 1) is the second of three consecutive years of math that prepares students to sit for the IB Math Higher Level (HL) exam in May of their senior year. This multi-year course meets the needs of students who have a passion for math and a strong interest in pursuing a STEM major. This course is for those who enjoy exploring math at a deeper level, specifically with a calculus focus. Mastery of this 3-course series content will allow students to enter second year college calculus. The HL Math exam may be taken in grade 12 only.
- Evaluation of limits and derivatives
- Application of derivatives including motion, optimization, and related rates
- Curve analysis
- Indefinite and definite integrals
- Integration techniques, including partial fractions and integration by parts
- Calculation of area and volume of solids of revolution
- Strategies: Students will learn through a combination of:
- Teacher-directed instruction
- Small group collaboration
Equipment to be provided by Student: Graphing calculator; TI-Nspire is recommended
NOTE: In order to sit for the IB Math HL exam, students must take both Math Analysis and Approaches HL 1 and MTH650 - IB Math Analysis and Approaches HL 2 in 11th & 12th grades.