Fees: $17 digital resource fee (WebAssign and PivotInteractives); optional field trip incurs fee at end-of-year - $TBA
Learning Recommendations: Successful completion of SCI125 - Chemistry Laboratory Methods and SCI126 - Physics Laboratory Methods; be adept in the use of word processing software and excel; successful completion of or concurrent enrollment in MT300A/B - Common Core Algebra 2 is encouraged.
General Description: In this course students will explore the fundamental principles that govern the physical world. This is a relatively fast-paced course that will both prepare students for university-level physics courses. This course is the first of a two year progression that prepares students for sitting for the Higher Level exam in May of their senior year. This course fulfills one (1) college prep science requirement, as outlined by the Higher Education Board of the State of Washington (HEC Board), as a lab-based or algebra-based science course.
- Methods and Applications of physical measurement and measurement uncertainties
- Mechanics (topics such as: uniform accelerated motion; forces; work and energy; momentum)
- Thermal physics
- Circular Motion and Gravitation
- Amusement park physics
- Engineering Physics (thermodynamic systems)
- Laboratory work
- Inquiry and critical thinking exercises
- Computer simulations
- Teacher-led demonstration
- Student-led demonstration
- Student project and research
- Interdisciplinary applications are used when appropriate/possible
- Web-based assignments
Equipment to be provided by Student: 1.5” or 2” 3-ring binder with 5 section dividers, scientific calculator (graphing OK, not required). If you need to purchase a scientific calculator, the TI-30XIIS is recommended. For families considering investing in a graphing calculator, a TI-brand graphing calculator (not CAS) is recommended.
NOTE: Skyline offers the IB Physics exam at the Higher Level only. In order to sit for the IB Physics exam, students must take both IB Physics HL 1 and SC675A/B – IB Physics HL 2 in 11th & 12th grades.