Fees: IB Exam Fee as appropriate
Learning Recommendations: Students must have taken the first year of this course, CO650A/B - IB Computer Science SL, to be eligible to sit for the IB exam for this course. Students must have an understanding of MT300A/B - Common Core Algebra 2 level Math
The IB Computer Science SL course focuses on software development, fundamentals of computer systems, and the relationship between computing systems and society. The Higher Level (HL) course extends learning begun in IB Computer Science SL and encompasses all of these elements; but is extended to include an advanced/investigative case study, computer mathematics and logic, advanced data structures and algorithms, further system fundamentals, and file organization. This course prepares students for taking the Higher Level exam in May.
A link to the full IB Computer Science SL/HL curriculum is here.
- Core: System fundamentals, design and maintenance; computer organization and components; networks, networking technologies, and infrastructures; computational thinking, problem-solving and programming; abstract data structures and processing operations; resource management; computer/processor controlled systems; Object Oriented Programming (OOP)
- Investigative Case Study: A case study scenario is provided at the beginning of the year and students investigate the scenario in-depth in preparation for the assessment.
- Independent work - small and large group collaboration
- Use of available computer technology
- Project-based inquiry and investigation
Equipment to be provided by Student: None
Note: IB Computer Science HL counts as a science towards the IB Diploma, but does not count as a lab science credit for college admissions.