Fees: AHA Certification Fee of $27
Learning Recommendations: It is recommended, though not required, that students complete SC200A/B - Biology prior to enrolling in this course.
General Description: This course covers information fundamental to all healthcare professions with an emphasis in sports medicine. Specific course content includes American Heart Association certification in Basic Life Support for Healthcare Providers, medical terminology, fundamentals of biology/chemistry/physics particularly as they relate to the body and the anatomy and physiology of various body systems. In addition to classroom instruction, students complete a 20-hour observation (10 hours in Skyline’s athletic training room with the Certified Athletic Trainer and 10 hours at a job shadow off campus) each semester (40 hours total for the course). Students are encouraged to take advantage of leadership opportunities and competitive events offered at state and international levels by joining CLUB MED. CLUB MED is a student-led ASB club at Skyline, affiliated with the Washington Career & Technical Sports Medicine Association (WCTSMA) and Health Occupations Students of America (HOSA - Future Health Professionals).
- Emergency Medicine Basics
- Medical Terminology
- Anatomy and Physiology of the Integumentary, Skeletal, Muscular, Nervous, Circulatory, and Digestive Systems
- Nutrition, Strength & Conditioning, and Sports Psychology
- Preventative techniques such as taping, wrapping and safety precautions
- Inquiry-based laboratory work
- Multimedia offerings (computer simulations, video features)
- Demonstrations (teacher or student directed)
- Student projects and research
- Observe and work with Skyline's Certified Athletic Trainer
Equipment to be provided by Student: None
Note: Students who complete this course with a “B” or better may qualify students for college credit at various community and technical college programs.
Students wanting to enroll in the IB Career Program must take their Career Track courses in their Junior and Senior years to count towards their IBCP Certificate. Click here for more information.